During the academic year 2004/2005 Jeana worked in a local Lincolnshire primary school as Music Co-ordinator. In that year the Music provision moved from an unsatisfactory grading by OFSTED, to standards well above the national expectations. Jeana was complimented on her expertise and her ability to significantly raise standards in the school. She was advised to develop the Music scheme of work. (which is now called `Interact`)
To that end Jeana made links with Ilze Bull (Music and Drama teacher at Walton Girls` Performing Arts School Grantham). Weekly meetings were organised to observe the delivery of KS3 Music classes. As music teachers they saw a gap in the provision of music education between the end of the primary and the beginning of the secondary stages. They devised a scheme to fill this gap for years 5, 6 and the foundation of year 7.
Jeana’s projects, supported by Walton Girls’ Headteacher Ros Goulson, was to work as a Primary Music Consultant training feeder primary school teachers. It was at this time that the idea for a year 3 and 4 scheme of work began, linking to years 5,6 and 7.
Cfbt (Educational Trust) and Lincolnshire Music Services (LMS) decided to take the scheme on board, purchasing a short license.
Now the scheme is delivered to Lincolnshire schools through ‘Interact’, offering the software modules, CPD courses, workshops for staff and pupils.
Jeana developed cross- curricular IWB software modules for EY and KS1 which linked to KS2.
The software modules were used in several schools and received very favourable comments from OFSTED.
The cartoon characters Wesley, Charlie and Sally are hugely popular and take children on a musical journey through ICT, English, Maths and Science.
These characters were first created in 1995 – 1997 and appeared in Jeana`s guitar tutor books, supporting children to play the classical guitar.
Jeana is thrilled that the software modules are so popular in schools and at the same time are helping to raise pupils’ interests and standards in music education. What is so exciting about this interactive approach is that the schemes are cross-curricular and through music children can express what they have learned in other subjects
The software is continually being developed to support the needs of Primary school teachers
2015 – Interact has become an International company.
2014 -2015 – Jeana has developed new software and re designed the software modules, and they are easy to load and ready to use in seconds.
Interact is now working with Music Hubs across the country. Offering CPD Music courses and support with our Primary Music scheme, how to implement into schools.
Biography of ‘Interact’ Director
- 2010 – To date: Director / Consultant of `Interact`, author of Learn to play the guitar like me and re develop Interact Primary Music scheme to run from Google Chrome
- 2009 – 2010: Curriculum Music Adviser Lincolnshire and CfBT Music Consultant (Educational Trust)
- 2008 – 2010: Curriculum Music Adviser for Lincolnshire. Develop and designed the Primary Music scheme into software for the Interactive whiteboard (now called Interact)
- 2005 – 2008: Primary Music Consultant at Walton Girls Performing Arts Secondary School, Grantham (in 2007 I worked at both Walton and Harlaxton Primary Schools) Develop the Primary Music scheme that was published in a book format
- 2003 – 2005: Music Co-ordinator at St Mary’s Roman Catholic Primary School, Grantham. Brought in as a trouble-shooter and improved the music programme of the school to achieve an OFSTED grading for music as Very Good in 2004. (Previously unsatisfactory in 2000) Developed Primary Music scheme
- 1988 – 2003: Music / Guitar teacher at Cliffedale Primary School Grantham. Wrote 3 classical guitar books